Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 13, 2010

My new phone - LG Neon

So, I picked up a new phone yesterday (thanks to good old craigslist - I'm too much of a cheap ass to buy retail). I snagged an LG Neon to replace my aging Nokia 1661. I'm normally not much of a phone snob (you know...those people that always have to have the latest and greatest phone on the market), but the lack of a full QWERTY keyboard on my Nokia was starting to drive me nuts. I absolutely hate T9 texting (predictive texting), because every time I make a typo it predicts some random ass word that I clearly wasn't looking for. Some of my friends are really comfortable with T9, but I just can't live with it. I actually had T9 turned off on my old Nokia and just texted the old fashioned way by mashing the same key multiple times to get the letter that I wanted.

Anyways, here's a photo (click on any of the photos to see them at their original size) of my new and old phones (and an ipod touch - as a size reference) side by side.

The LG Neon is definitely a lot slicker than the Nokia 1661. You can't really tell just by the pictures, but the LG is made of a much higher quality plastic than the 1661 and the Nokia just feels cheap in comparison. All that aside, here's the real reason why I got the Neon.

That reason of course is the inclusion of a full QWERTY keyboard. The Neon's keyboard is an absolute joy to type on because of the spaced out circular keys. Accidental key presses are no longer a problem due to this design. The buttons have a nice and solid feel to them and the space bar isn't off center (god knows why some of the newer phones have off-center space keys---dumbest idea ever...seriously). The LG's inclusion of a camera is pretty nice too (the Nokia doesn't have one), of course it's not as good as a dedicated digital camera, but it does take some nice little snapshots. Here's a picture that I just took with Neon.

I'm not gonna bore you by rambling on about all the features on the Neon, because there are hordes of reviews on the web (such as this one). Instead I will tell you about the one thing that I will be missing about the Nokia...this! (check below)

God knows how many times that nifty little LED flashlight came in handy (*cough* sneaking out of the house *cough*). It didn't even drain the battery power much. I once accidentally left it on for over an hour and it only drained 1 out of 5 battery bars.

Well Nokia 1661--you were a dependable phone and we had a good run, but it's now time for you to join your retired brothers and sisters in the hall of fame.

P.S. There is a way to get custom ringtones on the LG Neon (I'm rocking the FF VII battle theme on mine) even if your phone is branded (eg. mine has Rogers firmware on it). Here's how:

No comments:

Post a Comment